Col. Terry W. McClain is the commander of the Air Force Reserve Command's 433rd Airlift Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He directs the operations and activities of approximately 2,500 personnel assigned to the wing headquarters and 21 subordinate units. The Alamo Wing is the home for all C-5M Super Galaxy aircrew training.
Col. McClain received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps after graduating from the University of Tennessee. He has seen duty as test engineer, battalion air liaison officer, instructor/evaluator pilot, Combat Search and Rescue instructor pilot, Formal Training Unit instructor pilot, operations officer and deputy fighter group commander. He also commanded the 45th Fighter Squadron, the 47th Fighter Squadron and the 940th Operations Group.
Col. McClain has also deployed in support of operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Resolute Support. In 2018, he deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar as the Combined Air Operations Center Battle Director and later as the Deputy Combined Air Operations Center Director where he oversaw all Coalition aircraft operations in support of Operation Inherent Resolve. Col. McClain is a command pilot with more than 3,200 hours in the A-10. Prior to his current position, the colonel was commander, 610th Air Operations Group, March Air Reserve Base, California.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, by correspondence
2011 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, by correspondence
2014 Master of Business Administration, summa cum laude, Military Management, Trident University International, Cypress, California
1. March 1990–June 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Arizona
2. June 1991–July 1993, Test Engineer, 3247th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Florida
3. July 1993–August 1993, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. August 1993–April 1994, Student, A-10 Initial Qualification Training, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. April 1994–June 1996, A/OA-10 Flight Lead/Forward Air Controller/Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 55th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, South Carolina
6. July 1996–April 2000, A/OA-10 Standard Evaluation Flight Examiner/Combat Search and Rescue Instructor Pilot/Battalion Air Liaison Officer/Flight Commander/Chief of Scheduling, 75th FS, Pope AFB, North Carolina
7. May 2000–July 2007, A/OA-10 Formal Training Unit Instructor Pilot/Assistant Director of Operations/Flight Commander/Chief of Scheduling, 47th FS, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
8. July 2007–April 2008, Program Integration Officer, 917 Fighter Group, Detachment. 1, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
9. April 2008–December 2009, Operations Officer, 917th FG, Det. 1, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
10. December 2009–June 2014, Commander, 45th/47th FS, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
11. June 2014–January 2015, Deputy Commander, 924th FG, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
12. January 2015–September 2015, Deputy Commander, 701st Combat Operations Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, California
13. September 2015–April 2016 Commander, 940th Operations Group, Beale AFB, California
14. April 2016–March 2019, Commander, 610th Air Operations Group, March ARB, California
15. March 2019–Present, commander, 433rd Airlift Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland-Lackland, Texas
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,200
Aircraft flown: A/OA-10A and A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 17, 1989
First Lieutenant Oct. 17, 1991
Captain May Oct. 17, 1993
Major June 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2, 2007
Colonel Oct. 9, 2014
(Current as of March 2019)